Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Moving tomatos into paper pots


Following the instructions on the earlier post, I made some paper pots. They came out pretty good. They do have a solid bottom, making me wonder how long will it take to decompose.

Earlier I moved a few seedlings into the final clay pots directly. I have them on the rooftop now, in the shadow. Even then during the day, it gets pretty hot, and I am not sure if these will holdup to the heat.


While I am not sure about this, the seedlings in the original starter containers are now large enough to have a place of their own. I decided to use the paper pots that I made. I have moved about ten of them now. I have a dozen more seedlings.

planning to do that tommorrow.

Alright. It took me more than a day to patiently fill the paper pots and move the tomato seedlings one by one. I didn't realize that I had sown quite a plenty in each of the containers, and there was a mini bush in each one fo those.

most of the seedlings came out pretty well, so I had to accomodate as much as I can.
The difficult part was to untangle the roots of the many seedlings which had grown together.


After I moved all I could, I was still left with half a dozen seedlings, which I had to discard. Yet my count of tomato seedlings is now a whopping 29 !!


They are all in the roof now, braving the sun during the day, and the dew at night.

No comments: